Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emotions & Intellect
Imagination and Emotions are responsible for cultural developments and the formation of civilisations.
Imagination and Intellect are responsible for scientific and technological developments – combined with Emotions, latter can have destructive results.
Fear, hatred, envy, greed & the likes, have played major roles in the disappearances of previous civilisations and seem – when goading contemporary sciences and technologies – to be able to bring about global catastrophes and even the disappearance of Sapiens.
Yet, instead of doing his Latin title “reasonable, wise” justice and trying to get rid of this menace, he not only justifies his emotions, by claiming them to be essential for his survival, but boosts them with media and commerce to a rampant force* that apparently is able to overpower the intellect – at least it would explain the increasing readiness of scientists to surrender their works and themselves to the lures of money and glory - and the attempts to infect AI`s with emotions.

*Emotions are considered time/space motions of the Reflections/Projections and thus to be weak forces of Consciousness
I take a dislike to any form of philosophy that disregards emotion as meaningless psychology. People go through experiences that change their perception of things, it may not qualify as logical or rational, but it certainly has a significant effect. Rejection of psycho-logic is always a fear of difference.

A more well informed metaphysics takes into account the accidental. Conventionally, we seek foundations, necessity and how they link to one another; arche to arche. Instead of this being the primary, even singular search of inquiry, one can see the contingent as much a part of being as necessity too, that is to say, we must exercise an-archaeology - without necessity as the single most significant line of inquiry.

This will allow for psychology, future speculation to be taken into account for our new metaphysics.
Crito, we ought to offer a cock to Asclepius. See to it, and don't forget.
(08-04-2017, 05:04 PM)waechter418 Wrote: Imagination and Emotions are responsible for cultural developments and the formation of civilisations.
Imagination and Intellect are responsible for scientific and technological developments – combined with Emotions, latter can have destructive results.
Fear, hatred, envy, greed & the likes, have played major roles in the disappearances of previous civilisations and seem – when goading contemporary sciences and technologies – to be able to bring about global catastrophes and even the disappearance of Sapiens.
Yet, instead of doing his Latin title “reasonable, wise” justice and trying to get rid of this menace, he not only justifies his emotions, by claiming them to be essential for his survival, but boosts them with media and commerce to a rampant force* that apparently is able to overpower the intellect – at least it would explain the increasing readiness of scientists to surrender their works and themselves to the lures of money and glory - and the attempts to infect AI`s with emotions.

*Emotions are considered time/space motions of the Reflections/Projections and thus to be weak forces of Consciousness

The R/P thing sounds alot like some of the astrology stuff I used to study, one half of the astrology wheel is the reflective and the other projective; so Taurus would be values and Scorpio will be desires etc...which is all explained as process instead of form.
Words are greater than we.
I cannot see a benefit in justifying emotions – but I can see the problems they entail (after all they are not new) and thus the need to curb them. Philosophical & psychological discourses seem of little effect in a world where the emotions of a Hitler, a Trump or Kim can bring catastrophes on mankind – not to forget those which motivate corporate decisions and the more subtle but not less effective social media - & mass motions.
And last not least - most of Sapiens emotions are very old (primitive) and thus not compatible with his contemporary technological, scientific and social conditions.

P.S. I do treat emotions in a mechanical manner, as it enables to eliminate them more easily than in an defensive, apologetic, conciliatory way.
I think we have 'moral feelings' and then later on in life, we have 'rational feelings' of the morals. Therefore justified emotions are but performative rituals that can be revaluated.

The problem with Trump, Hitler and Kim, is that they all know how to manipulate resentment and empathy.

Here is a great site that covers these issues from a Nietzschean perspective- http://www.iep.utm.edu/emp-symp/#SH4a

Read 4a and 4b.

Basically, empathy and pity are conflated using resentment and instead of empathy being absent, it is inverted.
Words are greater than we.
My simplifying emotions as time/space motions of reflections/projections might make them easier to handle, but does not reduce their complexity - especially of those which are closely related, but given different operation fields like: greed - envy - jealousy
The activities of the above mentioned creatures, are probably also motivated by the frustration, anger & hatred complex.
If they are directed against themselves or against others is of minor importance in face of the powers given to them.
Being the powerful of the powerless, does not not reduce their threat - nor does humanistic philosophising (sorry to say).
Emotions can cause actions & reactions which, occasionally, chase each other throughout the life of their beholder.
Some emotions can affect adrenalin rushes & heart attacks, while others may bring about murder & suicide, or Eifel- & Trump-towers.
There are innumerable works about emotions and their effects, yet only few do mention that emotions are addictive. An omission that ought not to surprise, since addicts do not only tend to deny their predicament, but to elaborate sophisticated cover-ups, excuses & deceptions, and sometimes even try to seduce and to corrupt those who do not cherish
Anger - Anguish – Anxiety - Existenceangst - Disgust - Distrust - Hatred – Envy - Fear – Greed - Frustration – Grief – Guilt – Hostility - Humiliation - Jealousy - Regret – Rage – Remorse – Resentment - Sadness - Shame – Sorrow - Suffering ….
I think I can agree that if one is not mindful, a person can become completely overwhelmed by the enveloping world of emotions - but this is not to say that wilful repression is the key, more a valuation of which emotions relent our capabilities and which do not.
Crito, we ought to offer a cock to Asclepius. See to it, and don't forget.