Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jacques Derrida | Nicholas Royle
(02-19-2017, 11:40 PM)thetrizzard Wrote: Here is a copy on Derrida from the Routledge Critical Thinkers Series, I haven't read it myself, but it's supposed to be an excellent introduction for those new to Derrida. Who wants to read it with me?

.pdf   Jacques Derrida - Nicholas Royle.pdf (Size: 652.91 KB / Downloads: 171,163)

I have opened up a new sub-forum here for reading groups. I am the moderator for now. Please feel free to join, just let us all know if you are joining in and we will bring yu up to speed on page numbers etc.
Words are greater than we.
I've just e-mailed you a better copy with some other PDF's, for those that have already downloaded it and are keen to join with reading this book, I'd re-download it once admin upload the better version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks. Will do it when I get to my PC. Can't figure out how to upload files from iPhone.

I already read the preface, the bit about undecidability when responding and how decision should be considered a passion makes more sense of the opening of David Woods book, specifically the Aporia of duty/response vs non-response.

Okay, I'm on chapter 4, going to stop for today and wait until you say where you are.
I want to give it a read. It's about time I understand Derrida. Tell me when you've re-uploaded.
I will be uploading it shortly.

.pdf   Jacques Derrida (Routledge Critical Thinkers) - Nicholas Royle.pdf (Size: 659.99 KB / Downloads: 2,277)

Here is the updated PDF.

@Princess
Chapter One ..... slow down, be patient....very good advice for anyone wanting to understand Derrida

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, I liked that bit. So far it all sounds like a practice of mindfulness. I will re-read in order to take it in more, that's what I usually read like.
Quote:Each chapter in the book will constitute a preface of sorts: with luck it should be possible for the reader to pick up the book and start from more or less any chapter. This, I hope, will accord with the logic, just mentioned, of a ‘strategy without finality’.

This made me think of Nietzsche's style, especially in works like BGE and TSZ and GS.
Nietzsche's style (which was anti-systematic) heavily influences Derrida's project, I think Royle is trying to demonstrate Derrida's thinking by adopting this strategy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taking a step back, I recall coming up with a quote in that book I wrote on communication and the new age -

Quote:Urgency delays agency

Anyway, that aside, I think one of the ways in for me, is to relate Derrida to Nietzsche, I get an inkling of his flow style, lots of flux, like the text is in some sense 'alive' and working on me, demanding my input.

Another part of this chapter that took my interest was the bit about how death is central to life, death is not something after life and that life is other to itself, namely death. This reminds me of Heidegger - Sorge, or Care, is all about the Being-toward-death, that is what constitutes human existence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question of Difference | Heidegger, Levinas and Derrida Ontical 1 369 11-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Ontical
  Derrida and Wittgenstein | Garver & Lee Ontical 3 382 07-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Socrates
  Jacques Lacan | Routledge Critical Thinkers Socrates 7 602 04-15-2017, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Ontical
  Zeynep Direk | Companion to Derrida Ontical 7 617 04-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Socrates