Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Windows is so terrible.
I have to say that I have not had much luck with my PC for a while. Since moving onto a boat, my PC has suffered the following complications: 
  • AMD Crimson driver would not scale my Polaroid 'HD Ready' TV, as it uses a resolution that Crimson does not recognise, or rather, does not offer support for anymore and AMD don't seem to give a toss about old HD ready TVs. So I uninstalled it using Guru3D's DDU and BOOM! Black Screen of a thousand deaths!
  • Had to reinstall
  • Forgot how different custom build reinstall is compared to neat and tidy partitioned restore on laptops whicyh resets back to a factory state, drivers all installed and all the bloatware - with a custom build, there is nothing but Windows and I messed up the restore by not installing the drivers properly.
  • Upgraded to Windows 10
  • Windows 10 kept installing Crimson driver, which messes up my scaling.
  • Microsoft remotely connected to attempt to stop the driver installing - in the process they messed up the registry so bad, I got only as far as the BIOS page, or the restore options, but all files were so badly corrupted that I had to repair by reinstalling
  • DVD drive stopped working
  • Finally got hold of flash drive, took 16 hours to create the USB flash drive
  • Finally installed Windows 8.1, took more care installing drivers
  • Installed Catalyst AMD driver, version 8.0 or something, but Firefox does not let me play videos or flash, green, trippy lines appear, but not in Microsoft IE.
  • PC crashes when playing YouTube sometimes
  • Turns out it's GPU acceleration, but even when turned off, it still was green
  • Unistalled in safe mode with DDU, all AMD drivers for graphics
  • Seems to all be working, but today my PC froze when loading explorer.exe
 I never used to have these issues before, I had heard of Microsoft being really bad and unstable, but I used to be able to sort out these problems, not any more it seems. I can never get any work done, it's so annoying! I dread turning it on in case all I am doing is trying to fix my PC. So I guess I am putting it to this community - what shall I do? I have a large 41'' LG TV which works perfectly with the Crimson drivers, but I find the Crimson drivers are incredibly unstable. Also, the TV is probably quite power hungry. 170W at 1.7 amps, which is a tall order when using leisure batteries. I have a spare HDD that is inside the PC, I was thinking of learning Linux?
Words are greater than we.
(11-24-2017, 02:01 PM)Ontical Wrote: I have to say that I have not had much luck with my PC for a while. Since moving onto a boat, my PC has suffered the following complications: 

I never used to have these issues before, I had heard of Microsoft being really bad and unstable, but I used to be able to sort out these problems, not any more it seems. I can never get any work done, it's so annoying! I dread turning it on in case all I am doing is trying to fix my PC. So I guess I am putting it to this community - what shall I do? I have a large 41'' LG TV which works perfectly with the Crimson drivers, but I find the Crimson drivers are incredibly unstable. Also, the TV is probably quite power hungry. 170W at 1.7 amps, which is a tall order when using leisure batteries. I have a spare HDD that is inside the PC, I was thinking of learning Linux?

F.Y.I., someone on my website has responded to a similar post on my forum.

Check it out...
Yeah, saw it - so I don't know about it being hardware, as the hardware seems to work better without the drivers, I just think the TV is incompatible with the technology in my graphics card, which is a hardware issue per say, but not one centrally focused in my PC.
Words are greater than we.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 8.1 | Finally f@&ked off Ontical 4 364 11-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Ontical